The Cumulus Radio (Lexington) Internship Program is designed to provide qualified full-time college and university undergraduate students with in-depth exposure to professional radio production facilities, techniques, and practices.
The Cumulus Radio (Lexington) Internship Program is for college credit only and is designed to give a well-rounded introduction to the ever evolving field of broadcasting and the operations of Cumulus Lexington stations which are: WLTO (HOT102), WXZZ (ZROCK103), WLXX (92.9), and WVLK (590AM/101.5FM). Interns will be asked to select an area of concentration but will also be given assignments that will allow them to experience each department within Cumulus Radio (Lexington). Intern responsibilities will vary from support activities to actual hands on work. This is an opportunity for interns to shine and we will do the best we can to support you in taking full advantage of your experience with Cumulus Radio (Lexington).
Please be aware that this internship is not paid, it is for credit only and completion of this program does not entitle you to, or guarantee employment with our company.
In order to be an intern with Cumulus Radio (Lexington), you must be receiving credit from your school.
You must also provide the following:
1. Resume and cover letter
2. Two letters of recommendation
3. A form or letter from your school or school official verifying that you will be receiving credit for your Internship for the semester you are applying for
Departments and Experience:
1. Promotions/Marketing: Assist in setting up & executing station appearances/live remotes. Overall management of promotional inventory for the Marketing dept. including initial count, distribution, and on-going requests. Assisting in the coordination of deliveries for department from vendors.
2. Sales: Assist with sales department paperwork (invoices/mailers, sales proposals, etc). Accompany sales reps on sales calls. Make weekly Cold calls.
3. Programming/Production: Exposure to all aspects of radio station programming including music selection and publicity. Programming interns will become familiar with air personality duties; on-air requests; the music industry and music selection process, administrative procedures and production.
4. Creative Services: Designing marketing materials, preparing files for print (ads, flyers, etc), create web-content across all station websites and assisting in delivering content through our social networking platforms. Intern will assist with organizing and managing the photo archive system. They will use photography skills and digital equipment to properly assist in capturing any on-site or off-site events, press conferences, staff functions.
All Cumulus Radio (Lexington) interns are encouraged to attend as many station events that occur during the semester of their internship, as possible. There will be a list events handed out to interns each semester. Other events will be added during the course of the internship.
Internship assignments will vary between 12 weeks and 6 months
Summer semester - (May – mid-August)
Fall Semester - (early September – late December)
Winter/Spring Semester – (February - late April)
Internships average approximately 10-20 hours per week and include mostly day shifts. Nights, weekeds, and holidays may be required from time to time for the Promotions and Programming Internships.
Mario Anderson (Promotions & Marketing Director)